Ingredients (serves 6):
- 14 ounces whole grain penne pasta
- 3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on the size)
- 4 cups arugula, washed and trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 anchovy fillets preserved in oil, chopped OR 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese (plus more if desired)
- Over high heat, bring a pot of water to a boil for cooking the pasta. When it boils, add 1 teaspoon salt then cook the pasta. Follow the number of minutes indicated in the package. When the pasta is cooked, drain. Set aside a cup of the water if needed for cooking the sauce.
- Meanwhile, while waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and the anchovies(if using). After about 2 – 3 minutes, when the garlic is fragrant and infused in the oil, remove and discard the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and anchovy paste (if using) and toss with the oil. Cook for about 10 minutes when the juice of the tomatoes are seeping out and the sauce is thickening slightly. After about 10 minutes, add the arugula and black pepper. Toss until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss with the sauce. If you see that the sauce is too dry, add a little amount of pasta water. Add the Pecorino. Toss then turn off the heat.
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil on the serving plate and sprinkle more Pecorino if desired.